Tom Kha Gai – Thai Shredded Chicken Soup
A family favorite, this creamy coconut milk chicken noodle soup is made with many fresh ingredients, and takes only half an hour to make.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 ½ Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1-2 Thai red chilies, minced (optional)
- 3 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, outer layers discarded, and chopped into large chunks
- (or 3 Tbsp. tube lemongrass if you can’t find fresh)
- Juice of 2 limes, plus extra for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 jar Harvest Palm ™ Spaghetti, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 1 large breast or ¾ lb)
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped
- Peel and mince ginger. Slice mushrooms. Mince Thai red chilies. Chop lemongrass into large chunks. Chop green onion and cilantro. Drain and rinse Harvest Palm ™ Spaghetti. Set all aside.
- Brown mushrooms using some of the separated coconut oil*. Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, boil chicken stock, coconut milk and ginger over medium heat; reduce heat.
- Add mushrooms, minced chilies, lemongrass, sriracha, lime juice, fish sauce, and Harvest Palm ™ Spaghetti to saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the pre-cooked, shredded chicken and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onions. Serve immediately with extra sriracha and lime wedges if desired.
*Coconut milk separates in the can into coconut water and coconut oil. Simply open the can of coconut milk and spoon out a teaspoon of the thick white coconut oil. If you prefer, you may also use a small amount of canola oil, olive oil, etc.